The cold weather in March kept me inside busy with my 100 Day Project rather than battling the elements outside. The slow start with emerging vegetation sent me scrounging for subject matter and becoming punchy enough to create some anthropomorphic fruit, veg and celestial bodies:
I also took advantage of dead things:
Then there were the reliable houseplants:
And finally some fleeting spring ephemerals that I was lucky enough to catch:
I’m edging closer to the halfway mark for my 100 days and feeling a bit winded in this journey. I may have to switch up my style and medium to add some variety. I’ve been enjoying my ink pens and watercolor pencils but will venture into new territory soon.
Until next month when I hope to have more to show with my outdoor art, stay safe and enjoy the spring!
February’s snow and frigid temps kept me indoors and creating art based on my houseplants and photos from warmer times. I decided to join the 100 Day Project challenge on Instagram which I attempted in 2017 and lasted for 80 days of park art. This time the subjects will be small drawings of plants, seeds and fruit captured with their life force, auras or “spirits” around them. The hashtag on Instagram is #100daysofplantspirits if you’d like to check out my progress. So far I’ve been allotting a brief half-hour or so to create every day, a welcome relief from the stresses of living right now.
My materials for the last fourteen days have included regular colored pencils, watercolor pencils and permanent ink Pigma Micron pens for the outlines. I hope to collect all the 100 Day art in a watercolor Moleskine that I’ve been using for many years. Maybe I’ll finally fill it up!
I’m looking forward to a daily practice that sharpens my rusty skills and improves my attention to detail while encouraging playful creativity. Hopefully March will bring warmer weather, new raised beds and some garden decorating. Stay tuned!